Prepare Your Home
Tips for Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep your cabinet doors open during cold spells as this will allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water running through your faucets, especially those that run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off your outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn to “off.”
- If you do shut off your outdoor faucet, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure that your gutters are clean and in good shape, secured. Leaves and such can clog and cause a damming effect which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace, HVAC system can help reduce the risk of puff backs.
SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin is available 24 hours a day, 757-934-8404.