Water Damage - Services for Extraction
Don't stress, we can help!!
Water Damages can be the unwanted effect from many different causes. But this does not change the result--a mess needing restoration. However, the issue that matters most is finding a Water Removal team of professionals like SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin to extract the water and minimize the ruin. While you could try to get rid of all of the water to save money, the professionals that handle the service are capable of expediting the water extraction, thereby minimizing secondary water damage. Fast removal not only saves you money in the long run but lessens the negative impact on the structure of your home while also protecting personal possessions like clothing, photographs, and computers.
Finding a trustworthy service is easier than you think. Since you are already speaking with your insurance agent, ask for a recommendation for a water damage restoration company in your local area. Chances are he will list SERVPRO at the top, or as a preferred vendor. They will coordinate with your agent a quick agreement on the necessary services for restoration. This helps alleviate stress for you and aids in the claims process and paperwork.
A crucial initial step is the assessment. This inspection is where they use the necessary equipment to discover hidden areas of moisture that may lead to continuing degradation and the proliferation of mold growth. Afterward, they get the equipment needed to pump out the excess water, place air movers and dehumidifiers to dry out the remaining moisture, and then disinfect and sanitize affected areas. SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin is available 24/7 for any fire, mold, or water damage.
Call us -- 757-934-8404
Smoke Detector's Save Lives!
Smoke detectors save lives!
Smoke detectors/alarms play a vital role in saving lives, and when properly installed, can reduce the risk of fire injury in half.* The National Fire Protection Association recommends smoke alarms be installed in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the house. Business owners should consult the local Fire Marshall to ensure specific building fire codes and smoke detector requirements are met.
Smoke detectors work best when paired with a fire escape plan. A plan allows your family, employees or clients to escape quickly and safely in an emergency situation.
SMOKE ALARM SAFETY TIPS:
Review the following tips regarding smoke detector installation and maintenance.
-Install smoke detectors on every level of the home, including the basement.
-Smoke detectors should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms.
Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance.
-Test smoke detectors at least once a month using the test button.
-Replace batteries in all smoke detectors at least once a year. If an alarm “chirps,” the battery is low and should be replaced right away.
-Replace all smoke detectors when they are 10 years old.
*Tips and statistics provided by the National Fire Protection Association.
Business Owners: Be Emergency Ready
Does your business have an Emergency Plan in place?
SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin is a leading expert in providing Emergency Ready Profiles (ERP’s) for area businesses, apartment community's, churches, municipalities and non-profit organizations.
What is an ERP?
An ERP is simply a plan of action of what to do, who to call, and emergency contacts! It will also include where water shut off valves are, and electrical panels, plus so much more.
Why get an ERP?
One advantage to being prepared for a disaster includes reducing business interruption. Most people do not know that as many as 50% of businesses never recover following a disaster because a plan was not in place ahead of time. We can provide a no cost assessment of your facility and not only provide you with a concise profile that contains critical information needed in the event of an emergency, but give you access to our “SERVPRO ONLY” mobile app which puts this information at your fingertips at all times!
Call us today to get started! 757-938-8404
SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin is here when you need us, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year!
Faster To Your Water Damage Event
We provide 24-hour fire and water restoration service!
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfiled/Franklin provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –757-934-8404
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin
SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Safety Tips To Follow If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home!
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin 757-934-8404
Smoke & Soot Damage
Smoke & soot damage can cause extensive damage to your home, let us help you make it "Like it never even happened!"
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises, therefore, smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call us today - SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin 757-934-8404
How to Prepare for Winter Weather and Avoid Water Damage
As seasons change, so do property owners preparation checklists. With winter weather upon us, it is important for homeowners and property managers to do everything they can do to reduce risks of costly water damage caused by frozen pipes.
When water freezes, it expands. That’s why a can of soda explodes if it’s put into a freezer to chill quickly and then forgotten. When water freezes in a pipe, it expands the same way. If it expands enough, the pipe bursts and water escapes leaving serious damage as a result.
Pipes in attics, crawlspaces, and outside walls are all vulnerable to freezing, especially if there are cracks or openings that allow the cold, outside air to flow across the pipes. Holes in an outside wall where television, cable or telephone lines enter can provide access for cold air to reach pipes.
The Red Cross warns that pipe freezing is likely to occur after consecutive days and nights of freezing (32 degrees) or below conditions. Taking the following precautions ahead of time can help you prevent potential pipe catastrophes:
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home. Allowing cold water to trickle from a faucet can alleviate pressure and prevent a rupture even if freezing occurs.
- If a vacant home, keep the temperature above 65 degrees.
- Cap outdoor water fixtures. By placing a cover on outdoor spigots and faucets, it reduces the possibility these fixtures build up with ice.
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
If you have done nothing to prevent frozen pipes and you have water leaking or you have no water pressure, it likely means your pipes have burst. According to State Farm Insurance, this happens to more than 50 million families each year in the United States. If a pipe has even 1/8” crack, it can release 250 gallons of water a day.
You must act fast to prevent further, and more costly damage.
- This first step is to always shut down your property’s main water supply. (Depending on the amount of water and location, you may want to first turn off electricity.)
- If it’s heated water that’s coming from the broken pipe, you should also close the valve attached to your hot water heater.
- After you’ve shut down the water, call a plumber for help with repairing or replacing the burst pipe.
Make SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin your first call to help you and your local insurance agent assess the damage. We will work for you to restore your property and your life to make it Like It Never Happened®.
If a disaster happens, are you READY! No one ever plans for a disaster, but you can prepare for it. SERVPRO® has an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) that will help ensure you are “Ready for whatever happens” in 2017. Here are a few advantages for having an ERP for your commercial building:
• No cost
• A concise profile documenting critical information in an event of an emergency
• A guide to help you get back into your work space following a disaster
• Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin
• It provides facility details such as water shut-off valves locations, breaker box locations, and other priority details
• It provides priority contact information for your business
Preparation is key to making it through a disaster. Don’t wait until disaster strikes, be ready and call SERVPRO® of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin today to establish your Emergency Ready Profile!
Mold Can Spread Through A Home Or Business In As Little As 48 Hours
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moist Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If you see any signs of mold call SERVPRO® of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin today at 757-934-8404.
Fire Recovery Tips
It is all too easy to think that it can't happen to you, there is no way you could be the victim of a devastating fire.
The National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) reports that there were 365,500 home fires in the United States in 2015.
That's an average of over 30,000 fires per month. These fires resulted in over 2,000 deaths, 11,000 injuries and over $7 billion in damage.
If you have suffered the unthinkable, here are some tips to help you put the pieces back together.
Get Medical Treatment - Getting everyone out of the house during a fire or other emergency can be a harrowing experience. During your evacuation, you may suffer injuries.
No matter how minor your injuries may seem, be sure to have them checked. This will help reduce any chances of infection.
Get Emotional Help - This is something that is equally as important as the physical healing you may need. A disaster such as a fire can affect people differently.
Some of the emotions you and your family may experience include fear, shock, disbelief, grief, anger, guilt, anxiety and/or depression.
Remember, children also process traumatic events differently than adults, so be prepared to provide them with additional support if necessary. Your local Red Cross can help find you the help you need.
Rebuilding Your Home - It is extremely important to never enter your home after a disaster until inspectors have determined that it is safe to do so.
Get in touch with your insurance agent to help determine the extent of the damage and get a claim open immediately so you can begin to put the wheels in motion for rebuilding or replacing your home.
Finding Professional Contractors - No matter what repairs are needed for your home, always be sure to use reputable contractors to complete the work. Any contractors you choose should have extensive experience repairing homes after a fire or disaster.
Your local chamber of commerce is a good place to start locating the professionals best suited for your needs.
If you have suffered a fire in you home, the professionals at SERVPRO of Suffolk/Smithfield/Franklin are only a phone call aweay. We will jump into action immediately to help you and your family back on track. 757-934-8404